Kapanui School is a large modern school situated in Waikanae catering for students from Yr1—8. Kapanui has attractive well maintained grounds with good provision for shade during the summer months. The school is well supported by its parents and members of the wider community. Classroom blocks are organised in whanau groups of students from year 1—8 to strengthen the links across all levels.
An enrolment scheme is in place as the school site has reached its capacity. Information and a map on the Kapanui enrolment zone is available under Parent Information.
Kapanui School is committed to providing a high-quality education for its students. We emphasise the importance of achieving personal standards of excellence in academic, sporting, cultural and recreational activities.
The school combines excellent facilities with a progressive curriculum, proactive values teaching and high expectations of students in performance and behaviour.
These values are reflected in the school motto - "Rise and Shine."
The key features that make Kapanui Primary School a successful and friendly community are:
• Well-qualified, enthusiastic teachers and support staff who are committed to helping students reach their potential
• A comprehensive curriculum programme with a key focus on "foundation" learning - literacy and numeracy
• A school environment where students work in safe, secure, happy and inclusive classrooms
• Excellent facilities, well-resourced educationally based classrooms
• Student support systems of pastoral care and behaviour management that promotes a safe, caring environment
• A proactive approach to teaching values that promotes citizenship and leadership
• Assessment systems that ensure every student is involved, encouraged and supported to work for success and maximum progress
• A wide range of co-curricular opportunities.
At Kapanui Primary School we are proud of what we can offer and of what our students achieve,
ERO- Education Review Report, 10 August 2012
Both the Board and staff are pleased with this very positive report which indicates that Kapanui provides quality delivery of the curriculum and is a great place for your children.
Tukuna te paehiranga kia topa! Let excellence soar! – 2012 Education Review.
During 2012 Kapanui School was reviewed by the Education Review Office. The Kapanui Board are pleased to report to parents that ERO recognised the high quality of Kapanui School by placing the school on a 4/5 year return date.
ERO usually expects to review most schools again in three years but where ERO finds that the school’s curriculum is consistently effective in promoting student learning – engagement, progress and achievement and where high quality performance is evident and ERO has no material concerns about the education and safety of students the next review will be in four-to-five years.
To be placed on a 4/5 return Kapanui School had to convincingly demonstrate the following -
• learners experience a coherent and rich curriculum that provides them with relevant choices and pathways and supports their successful transition through schooling and on to further education and training
• learners are actively engaged in their learning, and are progressing and achieving well; and the progress of priority groups of learners is being accelerated
• Māori learners are actively engaged in their learning, progressing and achieving well and succeeding as Māori
• there is a well-sustained culture of high expectations for students and staff
• a school-wide culture of rigorous critical reflection and self-review contributes effectively to sustaining the school’s positive performance and continuous improvement
• leadership is highly effective and strategic, and is consistently improving student learning and achievement
• teaching consistently demonstrates high quality practices, makes very good use of student achievement information, and is highly effective in promoting outcomes for learners
• the school has taken all reasonable steps to provide a safe and inclusive environment
• governance is highly effective in self-review, direction setting, decision-making and ensuring school accountabilities are met
• the school is highly effective in engaging the community in partnerships for learning and in the life of the school.
ERO- Education Review Report, 30 June 2009
• "during the review ERO observed high quality teaching"
• "classrooms are positive, stimulating'
• "supportive and respectful interactions are evident"
• "teachers have high expectations"
• "students take pride in their school; they report that they feel safe"
• "an attitude of trust and respect pervades the school"
The Kapanui staff and BOT work hard to provide your children with a quality school and we are proud to have this reinforced by a history of positive ERO reports.